‘You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.’ ―Henry David Thoreau
Going by this quote, Self-development plays a crucial role in one’s life while achieving dreams. One cannot be successful if he doesn’t strive for it. To get career ready and enter into the corporate life, mostly graduates opt for a management program like MBA or PGDM. Students work day and night to get into top colleges…However, do you think only getting into a good institute is enough?
Self-development is really necessary. It acts as a vital weapon and everyone should have this weapon in his arsenal to avoid failures. One should focus on holistic development rather just being a book worm, as real learning and success is not just limited to academia. Though, MBA program provides wide range of opportunities, it demands rigorous efforts. To better understand how to make sure you maximize your success level, go through the following tips:
- Establish long term goals: Think about your career as a whole. Don’t just limit your horizon. Plan ahead about what you want to achieve in your life. It may change with time, however do take out some time and think about it. Then, work for it accordingly be it your summer internship or your first job. MBA program offers numerous and exciting job opportunities which can both overwhelm you or stress you. Don’t be so harsh on yourself or get too carried away, stay focused and think wisely.
- Cultivate a positive attitude: Being optimistic is the key. MBA program is no less than a roller-coaster ride. If you will not keep your self-motivation high, chances are you may fall before reaching the finishing line. Change is the only thing which is constant in this dynamic era. So, be adaptable to the changes and take everything in a positive direction. Develop a learning tendency and try to gather the most out of every opportunity which come across you.
- READ: “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” Mostly people find reading books boring, they find PubG and other games more tempting than some old stacks of books. However, you will have ample of time for such leisure activities; but while doing your MBA program, do develop a habit of reading. Start with some light books. You can also go for EBooks, News Applications, and Journals etc. Books will help you increase your creativity and open a wide range of opportunities.
- Focus on Career Experimentation and Holistic Development: Business Schools offer a wide range of opportunities to their MBA students. One can learn about various roles and responsibilities and be corporate ready while being in the campus only. Every college organizes various fests, business conferences, competitions, camps; it not only breaks the monotonous routine but also provides a chance to actually use and experiment the skills required in the real world. Engage yourself in such activities, be it as a coordinator or as a participant. Don’t take such times to bunk the college and hang out with your friends. These events will really help you and boost your confidence by enhancing your resume as well. This will help you identify your interest areas and enrich your skill base.
- Benchmark against yourself: Always benchmark your success against yourself and not your peers or your colleagues. Compare yourself to the person in the mirror. Take a note to develop yourself gradually every day, mantra is to be better than you were yesterday. MBA program invites students from various domains and backgrounds. Some are fresh graduates others may have corporate experience; so it’s totally futile to benchmark your success against others. It may lead to unhappiness and dissatisfaction. So, BE YOURSELF. Learn to appreciate yourself and your learnings while making yourself prepared for your future career.
Written by -Mehak Mittal